The National Insulation Manufacturer’s Association’s insulation thickness calculator has been around since 1962, when it was first developed as a computer card deck designed to make economic payback estimates for insulation investments. Over the years, it has evolved into a sophisticated software application that simplifies the task of determining how much insulation is necessary to use less energy, reduce plant emissions and improve process efficiency. It can be used to:
- Determine the economic thickness of given insulations based on return on investment for chosen fuel cost, installed cost, tax rates, maintenance, etc.
- Calculate the amount of insulation needed for personnel protection for various design conditions.
- Calculate the thickness of insulation needed for condensation control.
- Calculate greenhouse gas emissions and reductions.
- Determine surface temperature and heat loss/gain calculations of individual insulation with thicknesses up to 10 inches (250 mm).