Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some answers to common questions and information for completing a successful home insulation project.

= view sheets

Why Insulate an Attic?

A significant amount of heat is lost through the roof, which makes the attic an important area to insulate.

Why Insulate a Crawl Space?

Proper insulation can help protect a living space from outside temperature changes and cold or hot air moving in through the bottom of a house.

Why Insulate Walls?

An insulated home is one of the best ways to ensure energy efficiency and indoor comfort.

Insulate Floors & Ceilings?

Insulating floors and ceilings is a key step in building a protective thermal layer around a home and maximizing energy efficiency.

What Insulation is Best?

See room-specific guides broken down by room type for information on insulating different areas of the home.

Which Insulation Do I Need?

The kind of insulation needed depends upon the region you live in and the space you are insulating.

What is R-Value?

R stands for resistance to heat flow. The higher the R-Value, the greater the insulating power and resistance to heat flow.

What R-Value Do I Need?

Depending on where you live and the part of your home you’re insulating (walls, crawlspace, attic, etc.), you’ll need a different R-Value.

How Much Product Do I Need?

The amount of insulation needed depends on the type of insulation you're using, the R-Value you want to achieve, and the size of the space you're insulating.

Do I Need a Contractor?

Many home insulation projects can be completed by DIYers like you.

What is Facing?

A material — either Kraft paper or plastic — is attached to the fiberglass insulation to help control moisture, mold and draft.

Unfaced vs. Kraft-faced?

Unfaced means the insulation lacks a vapor retarder (paper or plastic facing).

Do I Need a Vapor Retarder?

Vapor retarders are typically recommended for the interior side (i.e., the “warm in winter” side) of above-ground framed walls in your home.

What is Formaldehyde?

Formaldehyde is a potentially harmful chemical compound used in many adhesives for plywood, particle board and other building materials, including some insulation.