Do I Need a Vapor Retarder?

Vapor retarders are typically recommended for the interior side (i.e., the “warm in winter” side) of above-ground framed walls in your home, such as bedrooms, bathrooms, garages and attics. A vapor retarder is not required for basement walls, walls made of materials that can't be damaged by moisture or freezing, or any parts of walls that are below ground.

Related Pages

= view sheets

Which Insulation Do I Need?

The kind of insulation needed depends upon the region you live in and the space you are insulating.

Unfaced vs. Kraft-faced?

Unfaced means the insulation lacks a vapor retarder (paper or plastic facing).