Last updated: 12/21/2022
Our Commitment to Privacy
Johns Manville and our subsidiaries (“JM,” “we,” “our,” “us”) are committed to your privacy and fulfilling our responsibilities under applicable data protection laws. This Privacy Notice describes how we collect, use, disclose, and secure the personal information we gather about you through our websites, or when we interact with you offline (together, the “Services”). “Personal Information” means any information that, when used alone or with other relevant data, can identify a particular individual. Personal Information includes data that is classified as personal information, personally identifiable information, or similar terms under applicable data privacy and security laws and regulations. It does not include data excluded or exempted from those laws and regulations. For residents of the European Economic Area ("EEA"), the United Kingdom (“UK”) and California, this Privacy Notice is supplemented below as follows:
What Personal Information We Collect
Information you provide online
- Completing forms through our website. If you request to receive information or fill out any forms through our website, including subscribing to a newsletter, we may ask you to provide information such as your name, phone number, home address, company name, job title, email address, or social media handle.
- When you contact us. If you send us an email, sign up for notifications regarding news, products and promotions, or register for classes or trainings, we will collect your email address and any information you provide in the submission.
- Account information and authentication data. To verify the identity of registered users we may collect a username, password, or other similar authentication information.
Information you provide offline
We may also collect Personal Information offline in connection with our business, including when you:
- Participate in a contractual arrangement for products or provide information in conjunction with our products. If you buy from or sell to JM, or have expressed to JM an interest in doing so, we may collect your contact and employment information, as well as commercial information, such as your purchase history or products in which you have expressed interest.
- Interact with us at an event. If you provide us with information at industry trade shows or other in-person events, we will maintain your contact and employment information, and any other information you may provide. This exchange of information may occur in hard copy or electronic format and can include methods such as business cards, vCards, raffle entries, sign-up lists, etc.
- Visit our facilities. If you visit a JM plant or office, we may collect audio, electronic, visual, thermal, or similar information, such as photographs, voice recordings, or security camera video footage.
Information that we collect about you
In the context of our business relationship with third parties, we may process information about you from our customers, distributors and other businesses to which we provide our products, our vendors, our joint marketing partners and event sponsors (when they share the information with us under contract performance), referral sources, social media platforms, or analytics providers. We may collect Personal Information about you from publicly available resources (including business and employment oriented social networks and websites), integrity data bases and credit agencies. We may combine the information we collect about you from third-party data sources with the information we collect from you and may use and share such information as described in this Privacy Notice.
Information we collect as you navigate our website
We automatically collect certain information when you use our website, including:
- Usage information. We may collect information about the pages you access on the website, how often you access the website, and the links you click on when you visit our website.
- Device information. We may collect information about the device you are using, like the hardware model, operating system and version, application version number, browser, and IP addresses.
- Mobile device information. When you access our website via a browser on your mobile device, we may also collect mobile network information, including the unique device identifier assigned to your device, or the mobile carrier, operating system, and other device attributes.
- Location information. We may collect information about your location as determined from GPS and other sensors that may reveal information on devices, Wi-Fi access points, and cell towers.
How We Use Personal Information
We use Personal Information we collect about you, or that you provide to us, in the following ways:
- To present our website and its contents to you in a suitable and effective manner on your device.
- To provide you with information or services that you request from us.
- To advertise opportunities, services, or special events that we think may be of interest to you.
- To provide customer support, troubleshoot issues, manage accounts, and respond to requests, questions, or comments.
- To carry out our contractual obligations and enforce our rights.
- To notify you about any additions, upgrades, or changes in our services.
- To process your website registration and verify you as a user.
- To prevent and address fraud, breach of policies or terms, and threats or harm.
- To ensure the security and integrity of the Personal Information we process.
- To comply with all applicable legal requirements.
How We Share Personal Information
We may share your Personal Information that we obtained online or offline in connection with the provision of the Services with our agents, vendors, consultants, and other service providers that is necessary to carry out work for you or your organization on our behalf. We only disclose Personal Information to these service providers that is reasonably necessary to perform these functions, and any third parties that receive your Personal Information will be obligated to maintain the confidentiality of your Personal Information. Because we are a global business, the recipients referred to above may be located outside the jurisdiction in which you are located.
Johns Manville shares your personal information:
- To cooperate with local, provincial, state, federal, and international officials in any investigation requiring either Personal Information or reports about lawful or unlawful user activity on this site.
- To establish, exercise, or defend our legal and property rights, including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention.
- To prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity.
- To any court representative or competent authority who may be reasonably likely to order the disclosure of your Personal Information.
In addition, we reserve the right to disclose any information we obtain through the Services in the event we sell or transfer all of our business (e.g., in relation to a merger, reorganization, liquidation, or any other business transaction). In the event of an asset deal in which a portion of our business assets are transferred and additional personal data transfer requirements may apply, we will ensure that we disclose Personal Information in connection with such asset deal only in accordance with applicable law. We do not sell, rent, or otherwise disclose Personal Information obtained through our Services to any non-affiliated companies for their direct marketing purposes.
We may send one or more cookies to your computer or other device. We may also use other technologies such as tracking pixels, tags, beacons, or similar tools when you visit our website. These technologies can collect data regarding your operating system, browser type, device type, screen resolution, IP address, and other technical information, as well as navigation events and session information as you interact with our Services. This information allows us to understand how you use the Services. If cookies are used by us without your consent, these cookies or other technologies are strictly necessary to provide certain functionalities of our website and online offering to you or to provide you with Services that you requested via our website. Other cookies (e.g., Targeting Cookies (see below)) will only be used if you have given your consent.
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behavior information. When you visit our websites, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology. For further information, visit allaboutcookies.org.
What types of cookies does JM use and why?
- Improve our website
- Better understand our audience size and usage patterns
- Recognize new or repeat visitors
- Store information about your preferences so we can customize our website according to your interests
- Better understand your use of the website
- Advertise new content, events or services that relate to your interests
- Provide you with more relevant personalized content
We classify our cookies in the following categories, all of which are administered by OneTrust (You can find
more information about OneTrust’s privacy and cookie policies at https://www.onetrust.com/privacy/ and https://www.onetrust.com/cookie-policy/):
|TYPES OF COOKIES||PURPOSE|
|These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in, or filling in forms. These cookies do not require your consent under applicable law. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but if you do, some parts of the site will not work. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information.|
|These cookies may be set through our website by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly Personal Information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising. The processing of personal data in connection with these cookies is based on your consent.
|These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. They help us to know which pages are
the most and least popular and see how visitors move around our website. The information collected by these cookies is aggregated and can normally not be
linked to a specific individual. However, in certain cases the collected information can be linked to you directly (provided you disclosed your identity to JM, e.g., when creating an account or filing a request with us). To the extent that information processed in connection with performance cookies can, in a given case, be directly linked to you or otherwise qualifies as Personal Information, the legal basis for that processing is your consent. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site or when you monitor the site’s performance.
|These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and personalization. They may be set by us or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies, then some or all of these services may not function properly. To the extent that information processed in connection with functionality cookies should, in a given case, qualify as Personal Information, the legal basis for that processing is your consent.|
How do I manage my cookies?
You can manage your cookie preferences on our website by clicking on the “Cookie Settings” link.
Does your website respond to “Do Not Track” signals?
If your browser has “Do Not Track” enabled or sends the Global Privacy Control signal, Performance Cookies and Targeting Cookies will be disabled until you provide explicit consent to enable them.
Advertising and Marketing Choices
We respect your rights in how your Personal Information is used and shared.
Changing your Personal Information
You may make changes to your Personal Information, including keeping your information accurate, by accessing your account settings or contacting us at email@example.com.
To unsubscribe from such future emails, you can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org at any time, or follow the instructions at the bottom of any email you receive from us, and we will promptly remove you from all marketing and advertising email communications. Please note that even if you opt out of receiving promotional emails from us, we may continue to send you non-promotional emails, such as communications regarding our ongoing business relationship with you.
How We Protect Data
The security of your Personal Information is important to us. We use appropriate technical, organizational, and administrative security measures to protect data, including Personal Information, from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosures, alterations, or destruction. Please keep in mind that despite these efforts, Johns Manville cannot guarantee the security of the Personal Information held by us, nor can we guarantee the Personal Information you submit will not be intercepted.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Information
We will keep your Personal Information until it is no longer necessary to accomplish the purpose for which it was provided. We may retain your Personal Information for longer periods for specific purposes to the extent we are obligated to do so in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. We may retain your Personal Information to protect you, other people, and us from fraud, abuse, and unauthorized access. We may also retain your Personal Information as necessary to protect our legal rights, or for certain business requirements.
We will delete your Personal Information when it is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, or upon your request, subject to the exceptions discussed in this Privacy Notice, or under applicable law, contract, or regulation.
Links to Third-Party Websites
Our website contains links to third-party websites. JM is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of linked third-party websites. These links are meant solely for the user's convenience and do not constitute sponsorship, endorsement, or approval by JM of the content, policies, or practices of such sites, nor any products or solutions which may be offered through that site. Once you leave the JM website by clicking a third-party link, we encourage you to check the privacy statements on all the third-party websites you visit by clicking on the “privacy” link - typically located at the bottom of each webpage.
Use of Our Services by Children
JM has no intention of collecting any Personal Information from children under 18 years of age. If we learn we have mistakenly or unintentionally collected or received Personal Information from a child without proper consent, we will delete it. If you believe we mistakenly or unintentionally collected any information from or about your child under 18, please contact us using at email@example.com, or through the information provided in the “Contact Us” section below.
You Consent to This Statement
We encourage you to read this Notice carefully and retain a copy for your future reference. By accessing, browsing, or otherwise using the Services, you confirm that you have read, understood, and agreed with this Privacy Notice. If you do not agree to this Privacy Notice, do not use the Services.
This Privacy Notice applies regardless of how the Services are accessed and will cover any technologies or devices through which we make the Services available to you. If you have any questions or concerns about our Personal Information policies or practices, you can contact us in the methods described in the “Contact Us” section below.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice, including supplemental Notices, may be changed at any time, and we will inform you of any such changes by posting an updated version of this page on JM.com. The date at the top of the Privacy Notice indicates when it was last updated.
Please direct comments or questions regarding this Privacy Notice, including how to access this Privacy Notice in a more accessible format, via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
JM can also be contacted at our headquarters located in the United States at:
717 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202, USA
Point of Contact: Chief Privacy Officer
JM’s German Data Protection Officer can be contacted at:
Johns Manville Europe GmbH
Dr. Bernd Christensen
Data Protection Officer German JM Subsidiaries
97877 Wertheim, Germany
If you are a resident of the EEA or the UK, you may have additional rights under the EU and UK General Data Protection Regulations (“GDPR”). This addendum addresses the legal basis we may use to process your information, transfer personal data outside of the EU and UK, and your rights under the GDPR.
JM as the operator of this website is the data controller in the meaning of the GDPR for the processing activities described in this Privacy Notice.
717 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202, USA
Point of Contact: Chief Privacy Officer
What are the legal bases for processing Personal Information?
Our processing of such Personal Information is carried out pursuant to the following legal bases:
- Perform a contract. We may process your Personal Information to administer and fulfill contractual obligations to you. We will also collect and process your Personal Information as necessary for the performance of a contract.
- Comply with legal obligations. We may process your Personal Information to comply with legal obligations to which we are subject. This may include any requirement to produce audited accounts, any legal obligation to share information with law enforcement agencies, public or governmental authorities, and to comply with legal processes.
- Our legitimate interests. We have a legitimate interest in carrying out the processing activity. For example, we have a legitimate interest to process your Personal Information to carry out fraud prevention activities and activities to increase network and information security, identify usage trends, determine the effectiveness of promotional campaigns, expand our business activities and improve our services and the content and functionality of our Services. Our legitimate interests also include providing you with the products and services you request, view, engage with, or purchase and communicating with you regarding your account or transactions with us. Generally, the legitimate interest pursued by us in relation to our use of your Personal Information is the efficient performance or management of (i) your use of our Services, and/or (ii) our business relationship with you. Where we rely on our legitimate interest for a given purpose, we are of the opinion that our legitimate interest is not overridden by your interests and rights or freedoms, given (a) the regular reviews and related documentation of the processing activities described herein, (b) the protection of your Personal Information by our data privacy processes, (c) the transparency we provide on the processing activity, and (d) the rights you have in relation to the processing activity.
- Consent. You have consented to the use of your Personal Information. After you consent, you can change your mind at any time.
- Necessary for the exercise or defense of legal claims. If you bring a claim against us or we bring a claim against you, we may process your Personal Information in relation to that claim.
Personal Information Transfers
JM is a global group of companies headquartered in the United States. As JM operates at a global level, we may need to transfer Personal Information to other countries outside of your home country. For example, Personal Information about you that you provide while in the EU, an EEA member state, Switzerland, or the UK may be transferred to the United States. The United States does not have adequacy decisions or adequacy regulations. The GDPR permits such transfers when necessary for the performance of a contract between you and JM, if we obtain your explicit consent to such transfer, or if it is in our legitimate interest to transfer the Personal Information. The laws in the United States may not be as protective as the GDPR or the laws of other jurisdictions where you may be located.
If we transfer Personal Information from the EU, EEA, or UK or another country with cross-border transfer obligations, we will provide an appropriate safeguard, such as using European Commission-approved Standard Contractual Clauses or with your consent. For example, JM’s US company and its EU subsidiaries have entered into an intercompany agreement incorporating the Standard Contractual Clauses. The intercompany agreement sets forth the legal requirements for JM’s use of Personal Information and describes the technical and organizational measures JM uses to protect and secure Personal Information. To obtain a copy of the safeguard(s), please contact us using the information provided in the “Contact Us” section above.
EEA and UK Resident Rights
As an EEA or UK resident, you may ask us to take the following actions in relation to your Personal Information that we hold, subject to certain conditions:
- Right of Access: You can ask for confirmation as to whether or not Personal Information concerning you is being processed, and, where that is the case, access to the Personal Information.
- Right to Rectification: You have the right to obtain from us the rectification of inaccurate Personal Information concerning you.
- Right to Erasure: Under certain circumstances, you have the right to obtain from us the erasure of Personal Information concerning you.
- Right to Restriction of Processing: Under certain circumstances, you can ask us to restrict the processing of your Personal Information.
- Right to Data Portability: Under certain circumstances, you have the right to receive Personal Information concerning you in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to another controller.
- Right to Object: Under certain circumstances, you have the right to object to the processing of Personal Information concerning you.
To exercise your rights, please make a request by emailing email@example.com. We may request specific information from you to help confirm your identity prior to processing your request.
Note that these rights are subject to exceptions under the GDPR and applicable local laws. For example, access to your data may be refused if making the information available would reveal Personal Information about another person or if we are legally prevented from disclosing such information. If we decline your request, we will tell you why, subject to legal restrictions.
If you believe that the processing of your Personal Information violates the GDPR and/or other data protection laws, you may also lodge a complaint to the competent supervisory authority without prejudice to other legal remedies.
You can find more information about your data protection regulator here.
If you are a California resident, you have certain rights with respect to your Personal Information.
This Notice applies only to California residents. It does not apply to Personal Information we collect from current or prospective employees in their capacity as employees or job applicants; nor does it apply to Personal Information we collect from employees, owners, directors, officers, or contractors of businesses in the course of our provision or receipt of business-related services or products.
What Information Do We Collect?
In the previous 12 months, we have collected the following categories of Personal Information for a business purpose:
|Category||Examples||Collected||Categories of Third Parties to Whome the Information is Disclosed|
|Identifiers||A name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.||Yes||Service Providers; Operating Systems & Platforms|
|Personal Information||A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information.
Some Personal Information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
|Yes||Service Providers; Operating Systems & Platforms|
|Protected Classification Characteristics Under California or Federal Law||Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).||Yes||Service Providers; Operating Systems & Platforms|
|Commercial Information||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.||Yes||Service Providers; Operating Systems & Platforms|
|Biometric Information||Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.||No||None|
|Internet or Other Similar Network Activity
||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.||Yes||Service Providers; Operating Systems & Platforms; Internet Service Providers & Cookie Data Recipients|
|Geolocation Data||Physical location or movements.||Yes||Service Providers; Operating Systems & Platforms; Internet Service Providers & Cookie Data Recipients|
|Sensory Data||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.||Yes||Service Providers; Operating Systems & Platforms|
|Professional or Employment-Related Information||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.||Yes||Service Providers; Operating Systems & Platforms|
|Non-Public Education Information||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.||Yes||Service Providers|
|Inferences Drawn of the Consumer||Inferences drawn from Personal Information identified above to create a profile about a consumer reflecting a consumer’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.||Yes||Service Providers; Operating Systems & Platforms; Internet Service Providers & Cookie Data Recipients|
|Sensitive Personal Information||Personal Information that reveals (a) Social Security, driver’s license, state identification card, or passport number; (b) account log-in, financial account, debit card, or credit card number in combination with any required security or access code, password, or credential allowing access to an account; (c) precise geolocation; (d) racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, or union membership; (e) the contents of a consumer’s mail, email, and text messages unless the business is the intended recipient of the communication; or (f) genetic data.
Biometric information processed for the purpose of uniquely identifying a consumer, Personal Information collected and analyzed concerning a consumer’s health, sex life, or sexual orientation.
Some Sensitive Personal Information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
In the preceding 12 months, we have not sold or shared Personal Information about consumers. We do not have actual knowledge of selling Personal Information of minors under 16 years of age.
Sources From Which Personal Information Is Collected
We collect your Personal Information directly from you, your interaction with our website, publicly available sources, and third parties that collect Personal Information directly from you. For more, please see the “What Personal Information We Collect” section above.
Business or Commercial Purposes for Which Personal Information Is Collected
Your Personal Information is used to:
- Present our website and its contents to you in a suitable and effective manner on your device.
- Contact you to provide you with information or services that you request from us.
- Advertise opportunities, services, or special events which may be of interest to you.
- Provide customer support, troubleshoot issues, manage accounts, and respond to requests, questions, or comments.
- Carry out our contractual obligations and enforce our rights.
- Notify you about any additions, upgrades, or changes in our services.
California Residents’ Rights
California residents have certain rights related to Personal Information. This section describes your rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
|Right to Know about Personal Information collected, disclosed, shared or sold||
You have the right to request what Personal Information we collect, use, and disclose about you to third parties. Unless you explicitly ask for the specific pieces of information collected about you, in response to a Right to Know request, you will receive the following information:
This information will be provided to you free of charge, unless we determine that your request is manifestly unfounded or excessive. You may request this information twice in a 12-month period.
|Right of Deletion||You have the right to request that we and our service providers delete any Personal Information about you which we have collected from you upon receipt of a verifiable request. This right is subject to certain exceptions. We will state in our response if an exception applies.|
|Right of Correction||Taking into account the nature of the Personal Information and purposes of processing the Personal Information, you have the right to request that we correct inaccurate Personal Information about you, if applicable.|
To exercise your California consumer rights, please make a request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by toll-free phone at 1-866-256-1943.
In order to process a request received through one of the means described above, we must verify the person submitting the request is the applicable California consumer or an agent authorized to act on the California consumer’s behalf. To verify a California consumer’s identity to process a rights request, we may ask for up to three pieces of Personal Information for comparison against our records. We may also request a signed declaration under the penalty of perjury from the consumer whose Personal Information is the subject of the request.
Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us.
We will only use Personal Information provided in your request to verify your identity and respond to your request. We reserve the right to take additional steps as necessary to verify the identity of California consumers when we have reason to believe a request is fraudulent.
You may choose a person or a business registered with the California Secretary of State and authorize them to act on your behalf to submit your requests (“Authorized Agent”). If you choose to use an Authorized Agent, we require you to provide the Authorized Agent with written permission to allow them to submit your request. We also require you to verify your identity. Failure to do so may result in JM denying your request.