Survey the project before purchasing materials:
- Learn about the benefits of insulating each area of your home.
- Make sure you are getting the right amount of insulation required for your project.
- Learn what types of insulation are best for each application and how to install them.
- Include vapor barriers and ventilation in your plans.
- Consult a professional if there are any structural or moisture issues with your home.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions exactly. To get the full value out of your insulation, you must install it correctly.
Take all of the proper safety percautions. Always have the following at hand before starting any insulation project:
- Dust mask
- Long sleeves and long pants
Avoid fire risks. Keep insulation at least 3 inches from chimneys and gas flue pipes. Never put insulation over recessed light fixtures, ceiling fans or ventilation.
Follow these Dos and Don'ts.
- DO invest in no-itch products if possible – they provide more comfort and less dust during installation.
- DO be very careful - keep your eyes peeled for rafters, and walk only on ceiling joists. We recommend laying a plywood panel across the ceiling joists to kneel on.
- DON’T disturb existing insulation - moving it can create gaps where air can leak through.
- DON’T cover attic vents, and leave at least one inch for air flow between the insulation and the roof.